Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Going Organic

Last night Dan and I watched the documentary Food, Inc., "An unflattering look inside America's corporate controlled food industry." (quote from IMDB) I thought it was fascinating.


Since Hazel has started eating solids, I've been giving her primarily organic food. I just felt like the food industry had changed so much over the last 25 years, and so have kids, weight, illness, etc. I don't have the stats that the two go together, but I just wanted to feed Hazel foods without all the added sugar, and junk. It's really hard to find food without High Fructose corn syrup for example.

Learning about the South Beach Diet 5 years ago, changed the way I looked at food. Watching this movie also changed the way I looked at food. The animal cruelty is wrong, but my main concern is for healthy natural foods. I wanted it for Hazel...but after watching the movie, I'm going to start cooking with more organic foods for Dan and I as well. The only draw back is the price. It costs more to go organic, but it's important enough to Dan and I, so we'll start to make the change.


One random thing I learned from the movie: I have no idea when most vegetables and some fruits are in season. The movie talked about buying produce only when it's in season. And I realized most of the time, I have no no idea when that is!

If you like documentaries, I'd recommend this one.


One disclaimer: I didn't watch the scene where they butchered the pigs, and Dan said he's glad I didn't watch it.

1 comment:

e said...

hooray for organic food! i am a big fan.